Advaithashramam, Kolathur was established in October 1992. Kolathur is a serene village, some 24 Kilometers from Kozhikode city in Kerala State, South India. . Sree Kolathoorappan Kshetram, a temple having a history of thousands of years is situated in this village. Main deity of this temple is Lord Narasimha. Sree Vallorakkavu Kshetram is another hoary temple in this village, the main deity being Kiratha Siva with Bhagavathi, Ganapathi and Dharma Sastha. The then owner of the land, Sri Mangalassery Narayana Swami handed over Sree Vallorakkavu Kshethram along with a land of 56 cents around the temple to a committee, named Sri Vallorakkavu Kshethra Samithi, registered under the Indian Societies Registration Act in the year 1992. Swami Chidananda Puri is the Patron of this committee from its very beginning. Besides conducting the daily services in the temple, the committee is running the Advaithashramam, a centre for the propagation of the Sanathana Dharma and Vedanta Philosophy. The Ashramam offers an opportunity to study the profound knowledge of the Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Brahmasutras, and other classical Vedic texts in the traditional way.
To spread the activities of the Ashramam, Swami Chidananda Puri founded Sri Sankara Charitable Trust in the year 2003. All the branches of the Ashramam and the publication works are being controlled by this Trust. Ashramam branch centers are working at various places as Vedanta study centers and centers for seva activities. In addition to many books on various topics of Sanatana Dharma, the Trust is publishing a monthly Malayalam magazine by name Advaithasramam Sathsangam.
Daily routines and Programmes-
- Chantings, Keerthanas etc.
- Classes for inmates on Sanskrit, Vedanta, Darshanas and Dharmasastras in the traditional way.
- Full day Vedanta study classes on all last Sundays with Sankarabhashyam of Bhagavad Gita and Upanishad
- Full day Sahasranama Parayana on every ‘Amavasya’ and ‘Pournami’ days.
- Bhagavad Gita classes on every first and third Saturdays
- A week-long annual Retreat, Adhyatmika Antharyogam from December23
- A week-long Upanishad Study camp from the day of Gurupoornima
- A week-long study camp for university level students in the month of April.
- Sankara Jayanthi, Gurupoornima, Sivarathri and Navarathri are being celebrated with special poojas,bhajans and satsanga.
- Akhanda Japa during navaratri from Prathama to Vijayadasami.
A five year course is being conducted in the Ashramam to teach and train Brahmacharis to spread the message of Sanatana Dharma. The course is aimed to give a deep knowledge of Sanatana Dharma, Darshanas, Ithihasas, Puranas etc. in general and Panineeyam and Sankara Bhashyams of Vedanta in particular. . So far 11 Sannyasins and 7 Brahmacharins have accepted Deeksha after completing studies.